TIMES JAZIRAH, JAKARTA – Tempe Mendoan is a well-known Indonesian dish, originally hailing from Yogyakarta, but with regional variations across the country. What sets Tempe Mendoan Malang apart is the use of turmeric leaves instead of onion leaves.
Tempe, also known as tempeh, is a traditional Indonesian soy-based food product made through a natural fermentation process. It is created by fermenting cooked soybeans with a specific type of mold, resulting in a dense, protein-rich cake with a nutty flavor and firm texture.
As a nutritional powerhouse, tempe boasts high plant-based protein content and fiber, making it a rich and digestive-friendly source of nutrients. Additionally, it contains essential nutrients like iron, calcium, and B-complex vitamins. In this article, we'll unveil a recipe for Tempe Mendoan ala Malang that you can easily recreate at home.
- Malang-style Tempe, thinly sliced (approximately 20 slices)
- Cooking oil, as needed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 100 ml water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 candlenuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 turmeric leaf, chopped
Prepare the Tempe:
- Rinse the tempe thoroughly with clean water.
- Thinly slice the tempe according to your preference, then set it aside.
Make the Spice Paste:
- Grind the garlic and toasted candlenuts into a paste using a mortar and pestle or a blender.
- Add salt and continue to grind until smooth.
Prepare the Coating Batter:
- In a bowl, combine all-purpose flour, rice flour, salt, ground pepper, ground coriander, and granulated sugar.
- Add the ground spice paste and mix well.
- Gradually pour in the water while stirring until you achieve a thick, smooth batter.
Coat the Tempe:
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the tempe slices into the coating batter, ensuring even coverage.
- Fry the tempe in hot oil until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
Serve the Tempe Mendoan:
- Serve Malang-style Tempe Mendoan with warm rice and soy sauce sambal.
- Enjoy the delightful combination of crispy tempe with the perfect blend of spices and the fragrant aroma of turmeric leaves.
Tempe or tempeh offers outstanding health benefits due to its high protein content, aiding in tissue repair and growth. Moreover, its natural probiotics promote digestive health. The fiber content contributes to gut health and blood sugar control. It is also rich in iron, combating anemia, and B-complex vitamins, supporting the nervous system and metabolism.
Tempe Mendoan Malang provides a delicious alternative for tempe enthusiasts. With this simple recipe, you can savor the flavors of Malang type of fried tempeh anytime at home while reaping the nutritional benefits. Bon appétit!
Artikel ini sebelumnya sudah tayang di TIMES Indonesia dengan judul: Tempe Mendoan Malang: A Delicious and Nutritious Indonesian Tempeh
|Writer||: Khodijah Siti|
|Editor||: Khodijah Siti|